Spring in Florida is my favorite season for getting outside. The flowers begin to bloom, the air is cooler, and the skies are blue. So, if you’re planning a trip to Florida this Spring or just looking to get out to try something new, we can help by sharing our Top 10 Springtime activities for the Gulf Coast.
- Camping – The best camping season on the coast, I think, is in the Spring. The humidity is generally lower and the nights are cooler. Camping is a great way to get near the water and yet save money- big time. Usually when we camp we head to state parks, but this year we decided to check out a private campground & RV park called Navarre Beach Campground. We got to enjoy kayaking on the sound and a great time in their heated pool and hot tub.
- Hiking – The Spring weather (70-80 degrees) makes for an enjoyable hiking experience. We do hike in the summer, but it can get very hot and buggy. Spring is an excellent time with few bugs and low humidity. Plus, this is when all the new flowers start coming out. My picks for hiking are Chain of Lakes, Sweetwater Trail, Tarkiln Bayou, and The Arcadian Mill.
- Kayaking – by picking the right day and location kayaking can be a ton of fun. But use caution in larger areas of water; if you get splashed, you might get a good chill. Some of my picks are Big Lagoon State Park, Blackwater River, and Thompson Bayou at UWF. (See also our Kayak Northwest Florida article)
- Exploring the National Seashore – The Gulf Island National Seashore offers fishing, hiking, beautiful beaches, camping, and loads of history. My two picks for this area are Fort Pickens on Pensacola Beach and the Naval Live Oak Park located in Gulf Breeze.
- Fishing or walking on Pensacola Beach Pier – Staying on Pensacola Beach or in Pensacola? Then why not take a walk on the Beautiful Gulf of Mexico? This pier takes you past the second sandbar. I’m not a big fisherman but I’ve heard and saw folks catching of big fish.
- Biking – Spring means time to get your bike out. The Gulf Coast has some great places to ride. A few of my favorite paved bike paths are Gulf State Park in Gulf Shores, Alabama and Blackwater Heritage Trail in Milton, Florida. For those who enjoy trail riding the University of West Florida bike trails offer miles of exciting well maintained trails- some great fun during the Spring months!
- A nice walk – Why not break in your walking shoes? What a better way to enjoy the spring time weather and get a bit of exercise. A few places to enjoy a walk are Gibb’s Point, Bayview Park, or The Riverwalk in Milton.
- Gardening – Have a green thumb? Dig up some of the soil in your yard and get something to grow. We have fun watching fruits and vegetables grow in our yard.
- Sailing, kite sailing or windsurfing – The Greater Pensacola area has a lot of water, so why not get out and enjoy the many bodies of water with some wind power. I grew up spending many hours windsurfing on the coast. It’s great fun!
- Surfing and Paddleboarding – Want to try something new? How about surfing? Many of the local surf shops offer surfing lessons. Surfing is one of my favorite sports… and yes, the Gulf Coast does get surf.
Those are our favorite Springtime activities- let’s hear some of yours!